Monday, August 24, 2009

Movie Micro-Reviews: Edition 37

Strange set of ratings this time. But finally, I saw a movie from Netflix that rated really well. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It has the more dramatic Jim Carrey. The one I loved in The Truman Show.


Mamma Mia!

74

This was fun! It took a few moments to get going, but once it started, it kept delivering: smiles, laughs and songs. Stay through the first set of end credits!

First reviewed in Edition 21.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

82

Reviewed in Edition 15.

This pair of movies shows the flaw in my rating system – I can’t really say that I liked “Crystal Skull” that much more than “Mamma Mia!” In fact, depending on my mood, I might reverse the ratings.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

83

And now for something completely Python. Actually, it’s less Pythonesque than one might expect – there is a story running through it. But there was plenty of irreverent nonsense!

Galaxy Quest

82

See, this movie is funny on so many levels. It’s not for everyone, but it pokes fun at Star Trek while at the same time being like Star Trek. I laugh and laugh.

Becoming Jane

67

For a biographical movie, it was remarkably like a Jane Austen novel. It’s clear how Austen came to write on the subjects she did. Hathaway was good, McAvoy fit his part. And it’s always nice to see James Cromwell.

Dirty Dancing

73

Reviewed in Edition 11.

I still love the dance pieces. The “Wipeout” scene and the final scene I could see over and over. Leah wanted to see it once more before leaving for college.

Soloist (The)

70

One of the best things about a “based on a true story” movie is that you don’t know when the plot will take a non-Hollywood turn. This is a very interesting movie about a person who steps out of his comfort zone to try to help. And it’s a story about a person dealing with psychological problems in his own way.

Another note, interesting to me: This is the first movie I ever put on my Netflix queue before it even came out in theaters. I’ll do it more!

Speed

66

Non-stop action helps obscure the impossibility of the action itself. Sandra Bullock and Dennis Hopper have good characters, and Keanu Reeves is passable as a brash action cop. Candy, but tasty.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

80

What a find! Never heard of this movie, and it was so creative, imaginative, and well-made. A tiny bit of “what if?” that would be science fiction in a different movie. See this.

No comments: