Monday, January 4, 2010

The Year Begins - and the Regular Season Ends

Happy New Year everyone!

As I said before Christmas vacation started, I have many topics I'd like to cover. Tomorrow, I have a colorful entry about the many games we played. I have another edition of Movie Micro-Reviews ready to go. Thursday is a special post that almost breaks my rule about blogging about work. I really should talk about New Year's Resolutions, and I'm dying to write about our Time Capsule.

But today?

The Vikings.
What a season! When Adam convinced us to buy season tickets, just five days or so before Brett Favre changed his mind (for the last time [in 2009]) and decided to join the team I've loved since birth, I expected to have fun with my sons and dad, riding up to the 'dome eight times, watching some football, and riding back with some celebrations and some disappointments. This week was another excellent week to watch a Vikings win, in person, with some great highlights.

Well, the season played out better than we could have imagined. Oh, sure, I missed one home game because of my trip to Asia, but I did get to the other seven games, and our Purple made it special by winning every one of their home games, including one of the most spectacular come-back victories I've ever seen! And, to top it off, they finished 12-4, they get a bye (which allows me to have a free night for a very special event next weekend), and we get to attend the home playoff game with our wives in just under two weeks.

Brett Favre In Minnesota Vikings Uniform On Sports IllustratedDuring the off-season, when people asked me whether I really wanted Brett Favre I told them "At this point, I'd sell my soul and get in bed with the devil (which is how some Vikings fans saw Favre) if it got us a Super Bowl." [Realize, of course, that I was speaking metaphorically.] Well, we aren't to that ultimate goal yet, but the team has done what it needed to - we're in the playoffs - we have shown we can play very, very well.

It's been a great season. Adam, Lucas, Dad & I have had lots of fun at the games, high-fiving, cheering, singing "Skol Vikings" - the whole bit. Sure, I want more victories (Three more!) before the season is completely over, but I declare this regular season a resounding success!

Go Vikes!

2 comments:

brandon knight said...

Favre and Brees were the two best players in the NFL all season. You can hate on Favre all you want, but a 107 qb rating with 33 touchdowns and 7 interceptions are hard to deny. Favre had the same number of touchdowns as Manning, but Manning has 16 interception ( 9 more than Favre).

Steve Will said...

Brandon, thanks for the comment.

Actually, I don't "hate on Favre" at all. In fact, I've always admired his ability to play the game. I like it even more when it's on my team.

The people who asked me what I thought about acquiring Brett always assumed I'd hate the guy, since I am such a strong Viking fan. This is not true -- I'd welcome anyone who can help my Purple finally get that SB Ring -- and Favre certainly has a better chance to do THAT than any QB we've had in years!

Favre is not the "devil" -- I just wanted people to know that I would support doing whatever it took (legally :-) ) to get that ring.

And, oh BOY, do I appreciate how good he has been.