Thursday, November 5, 2009

Another V

"Remember, Remember, the Fifth of November."

At this time of year, I always get the urge to watch "V for Vendetta." It's one of the reasons I own movies on DVD (and now, Blu-Ray.) When I get in the mood for a particular story, I like to dive right in. And, as I've mentioned before, there are some movies that just beg to be watched at certain times of the year.

I still have not read the original graphic novel. [Someday, I probably will. {I'm that kind of guy.} {But don't expect me to come back and update this blog post when I do. I'm not that neurotic.}] I hear there are some major differences between the source and the movie, and I like the movie's arc, messages, characters and denouement so much that I haven't wanted to risk being disappointed in the way another version might portray V, or Evey.

I'm a bit surprised at myself that I haven't ever blogged about this movie on November 5 in prior years. Oh sure, I have micro-reviewed it, and in fact my last micro-review of it was not quite so micro, but each of those micro-reviews was included in an edition that appeared shortly after the 5th.

One of the points I've not mentioned before is this: "V for Vendetta" showed me that Natalie Portman can really act. I mean, until then I had only seen her in the newer Star Wars movies, and for some reason (I blame the director) her character(s) there were either wooden or melodramatic.

Another good point, of course, is how good Hugo Weaving had to be, to show a range of emotion with just his voice and body language. Of course, he did have a cape. You can't forget that, or diminish its importance. [Mike always says a good actor can steal any scene if he has a cape. {I first heard him say that after the first Harry Potter movie. Rickman as Snape = scene stealer} {Not that that's a bad thing.}]

Anyway, it's that time of year again. Thursdays being what they are, we might not have time to watch the movie exactly on 11/5, but it will happen soon.

[Cue the 1812 Overture.]

No comments: