Tuesday, September 4, 2012

We Go Around Again

Summer ends today.

Not astronomically, perhaps, but today school begins again for my wife, the student.  And so, once again, "summer" is over.

And so, once again, this "new normal" resumes.

My weekday evenings find me in a big house.  Hers find her in a tiny apartment, or in a work area on campus, or at her internship.

I try to use my time wisely, and succeed in fits and starts.  She doesn't have a moment to waste, and so spends her days and nights learning and creating.

Weekends are even more anticipated than during the summer, because they mean reunion -- brief, but appreciated.

Some weeks, I will travel for work.  It won't seem quite as much of an imposition, because whether I am in Illinois or Kentucky, Nevada or Japan, I'm not really "home" even in Rochester as long as she's not here.

Do I sound sad?  I don't intend to. 

I am inspired by the task she has undertaken, and I am impressed by the things she's learning and creating.  I am happy she loves her new endeavors, and I'm proud to be her husband. 

No, I am not sad.  I am prepared.  I am readjusting.  I am focusing on making the best of some time alone, but smiling inside whenever I think of the next time I'll see her.

This past week -- taking some time off to be with her, getting our lives ready for the "school schedule" again, enjoying the fulfillment which can come from just sitting next to each other -- this has been a perfect runway for the flight through this school year.

And so, summer ends.  And so, the school year begins.  We go around, again.

I propose we make this time around even better than the last.  Are you with me on that, Sherry?

I think she is.


No comments: