Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Rosters 2012


And now, the post you've been waiting for all summer!  I'm confident you are on the edges of your collective seats (that sounds strangely weird) wondering:

What do Steve's Fantasy Football teams look like this year?

(Oh, you don't care?  Well, move along, then.  Nothing to see here.)

Semi-NFL:  The "Work League" in which I have participated for, oh, maybe 20 years.  Something like that.  It's a redraft league, with its own customized scoring system.  In this league, an owner might get to keep a few players from one year to the next, but it's infrequent.  This year, I was able to hold onto two players I had drafted last year:  Julio Jones for a 4th round pick, and Cam Newton for an 8th round pick.  I had pick number 10 in a serpentine draft.  I was able to trade draft positions in the third round and the ninth round.

The resulting team is known as Will Power:

Will Power
PlayerYTD PtsBye Drafted
Newton, Cam CAR QB - 68.01
Romo, Tony DAL QB - 512.01
Ballard, Vick IND RB (R) - 418.01
Brown, Donald IND RB - 49.1
Charles, Jamaal KCC RB (P) - 71.10
McGahee, Willis DEN RB - 77.10
Peterson, Adrian MIN RB (Q) - 112.01
Austin, Miles DAL WR (P) - 56.01
Baldwin, Doug SEA WR (P) - 1115.10
Heyward-Bey, Darrius OAK WR - 511.10
Johnson, Andre HOU WR (P) - 83.3
Jones, Julio ATL WR - 74.01
Thomas, Demaryius DEN WR - 75.10
Celek, Brent PHI TE - 716.01
Gresham, Jermaine CIN TE (Q) - 813.10
Pettigrew, Brandon DET TE - 510.01
Bryant, Matt ATL PK - 717.10
Packers, Green Bay GBP Def - 1014.01


Analysis: I am very happy with my team. The two keepers allowed me to focus on getting a couple of running backs early, and to move up to pick Andre Johnson with pick 3.3.  Having a quality QB like Tony Romo as my backup is satisfying, considering that Cam Newton is now a "sophomore" and might not be worth starting all year.  Yes, I have three tight ends (strange) but we have two flex positions in this league, and it's possible I won't ever start 3 RBs, depending on how fully Adrian Peterson comes back from his injury.

Wills R Us:  My second team is in the "Family League" which is a dynasty league.  We keep up to 18 players from the previous year, and have 4 or more draft rounds to fill out a 22-man roster, which will be trimmed to 18 by week five. Preparing for this draft is quite different than preparing for a re-draft league.  Rookies are very valuable, and because this draft took place before the Semi-NFL draft, I spent my (very limited!) prep time on gathering information about the new players in 2012. 

My team is called the Jesters:

Player


Henne, Chad JAC QB


Rodgers, Aaron GBP QB


Smith, Alex SFO QB


Wilson, Russell SEA QB


Forte, Matt CHI RB


Green-Ellis, BenJarvus CIN RB (P)


Jacobs, Brandon SFO RB (Q)


Ridley, Stevan NEP RB


Royster, Evan WAS RB (P)


Scott, Bernard CIN RB (Q)


Spiller, C.J. BUF RB


Starks, James GBP RB (Q)


Harvin, Percy MIN WR


Jennings, Greg GBP WR


LaFell, Brandon CAR WR


Lloyd, Brandon NEP WR


Sims-Walker, Mike FA WR


Wright, Kendall TEN WR


Davis, Vernon SFO TE


Hernandez, Aaron NEP TE


Witten, Jason DAL TE (D)


Crosby, Mason GBP PK


Analysis: I have a couple of players on this team who should have been dropped before the draft, and if I have enough time before the first game, I will take care of that.   But the core of my team is strong enough.  I have three of the top TEs, I have the top QB, and some nice options at WR.  I don't predict winning the league with this team, but I will look to improve it over the season with waivers.

So, that's it for the 2012 season.  I don't expect to have any other teams.  Two is plenty for my mind to track, I have discovered.

Now I'm ready for some FOOTBALL!

No comments: