Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Review: American Gods

Title: American Gods
Author: Neil Gaiman

There are several books which, over the years, have come to my attention as being very popular and well-reviewed.  Now that I have a Nook, I decided I would see if some of them are available for e-reading so I have something other than work to do on my all-too-frequent periods of waiting in airports.

The first of these is American Gods.  This year, Neil Gaiman released the 10-year anniversary edition, so it's not as if this is some 30- or 50-year old classic (Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination is on the list, and even older than that!)

The concept of American Gods shows up after a couple of striking chapters (one of which is quite graphic, so be warned.)  As people moved to the American continent, they brought their beliefs with them -- beliefs in gods.  This, it turned out, caused the gods themselves to come to America.  The hero of the story, a man nicknamed Shadow, starts the story getting out of prison a little early because of a tragedy in his family.  He soon runs into these American Gods, and before long is working with them as they prepare for a war.

What kind of war?  Well, I really don't want to spoil things.

Gaiman creates a wonderful set of characters, and weaves his mythology well with them as the threads.  And speaking of mythology, he includes myths from many, many cultures -- since, after all, many cultures came to the Americas.  I recognized some of them from the various mythology Great Courses I've taken (including the wonderful Anansi) as well as mythology I have picked up over the years.  But many others were entirely new to me.


If you didn't like Watchmen -- in which comic book style superheroes don't exactly act heroic -- you might try setting your expectations for something similar here.  The American Gods are almost certain to act differently than you think "gods" should act.  Then again, if you actually go back and read myths, not to mention the practices of the people who worshiped the gods in those myths, you might find the same.

But, if you are not easily offended, if you enjoy excellent writing, and you appreciate a modern story based on the fascinating premise of in-the-flesh gods walking among us, you will like this book.  And, honestly, most of my science-fiction-loving friends will love it.

No comments: