Monday, August 1, 2011

Falling Skies

Until this year, I didn't watch anything on TNT.  Over the years (and yes, I realize I am behind the times) "networks" like TNT didn't really have any original programming -- at least nothing worth watching.  But lately, I've heard more and more about cable shows like Rescue Me (FX), The Closer (TNT), Mad Men (AMC) -- the cable networks get a lot of credit for new drama trying to be something other than the typical primetime big network fare.

Anyway, this year we heard about a summer show called "Falling Skies" with the promising words "Executive Producer Steven Spielberg" and a concept centering on an alien invasion of Earth.  Shows (movies & TV) about "Alien invasions of Earth" are unsuccessful at least as often they are successful, but Steven Spielberg has a higher rate of entertaining me than many producers.

So, Sherry and I have watched all of the episodes thus far, and the show has lived up to expectations.  Oh, it's not "Battlestar Galactica" -- but that's probably a good thing for most of its audience.  Noah Wylie is always a likeable guy, and he plays one here, as the central character who used to teach college history, but is forced to take up arms to protect a small group of people from the invading "Skitters" -- eight-legged creatures who capture children and kill everyone else.

I like many things about the show, including its willingness to kill people you are sure would remain alive in a typical TV show.  I guess having a 10-hour season makes it easier to kill characters -- this is more a mini-series than it is like a 24-episode recurring drama.  I like the fact that the intense stress caused by being displaced and constantly in danger causes some humans to behave bravely, and others to behave selfishly.  It makes sense.  I like that the humans do not understand the motivations, society, or biology of their invaders, and there are no quick answers.

It's too bad the "season" is almost over, but since it will get a second season, I will definitely watch for it to return.  TNT, you have another viewer. 

No comments: