Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Humbling Desktop Defender


By now we all know: I play games. I play lots of different kinds of games. And I am not what you would call young. So, it was humbling a couple of weeks ago when I started playing "Desktop Defender" on Facebook, and when I started describing it to Lucas he said:

"Oh, it's a Tower Defense game."

Just like that. As if, of course, this is a well-known style of game.

And it is.

But not only had I never played one, I had never heard of one.

Well, humbling though it is, I will persevere. I will admit, yet again, that I do not know everything. In fact, I will reiterate that I don't even know what I don't know.

And I will keep playing this game. There is something about games that can be played in just a few minutes which make them easy to love, if they have a challenge. Desktop Defender does. And, like so many games these days, you can have fun at the beginning, but you have even more fun the more experience you get.

I will look for games like this in the future.

2 comments:

Michael Hacker said...

Okay, so I had to google "tower defense" games and discovered this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_defense

So--I get the impression it's like defending the Death Star from the rebel alliance?

Steve Will said...

Ah, yes, I didn't really describe it, did I?

Picture the video screen. Enemies are trying to cross the screen, trying to reach some objective. Typically, it's from one side of the screen to another.

As the player, you build towers, which shoot at the enemies, killing them before they reach their objective.

You start with a few dollars, so you can only build a few weak towers. As you kill enemies, you get more money, so you can add more towers, and upgrade the towers you have.

Each wave of enemies gets tougher and tougher.

So, it's "real time" in an arcade-like fashion. But there is a defined end point -- after 20 enemies have made it to their objective, or after you defeat every wave, allowing fewer than 20 enemies.

If you want to give it a try, just look up "Desktop Defender" on Facebook. It's easy to start.