Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Movie Micro-Reviews: Edition 59

Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog

86

Only a few people can get the funding to take a strange concept like this and get it made. Joss Whedon can also get cool actors like Neil Patrick Harris and Nathan Fillion to play campy roles, and make something unique. I liked it a lot! 50 minutes maybe. Seriously, if you liked anything Whedon has ever done, try this.

Kick-Ass

84*

"Kick-Ass" is not for everyone. But, boy oh boy, was it for me! And the Dudes who were with me. I knew so little about the movie before I sat down. Surprise after surprise, geeky teenage flashbacks, more violence than you can wag a finger at, and the coolest hero in years! Hit Girl is awesome!

The asterisk? I can’t recommend this to people who don’t like violence, teenage sexuality, profanity, blood, or more violence.

North Face

65

1936. Two Germans attempt to scale the North Face of the Eiger – “The Last Problem of the Alps.” Two Austrians try to beat them. I would never mountain climb. Yikes. Subtitled.

Pandorum

35

Darn. I thought it was going to be a sci-fi thriller. It was a sci-fi zombie movie. Too bad – it had enough interesting ideas, if only they had stuck to the ideas instead of the gore and zombies.

Independence Day

87

Fantastic blockbuster FX film, with real heroes, tension, laughs. Faulty science drops it below 90, for me.

[One of the movies Sherry has for background viewing.]

Monty Python’s Meaning of Life

75

After all these years, I saw it. After all these years, it breaks rules that other films are still afraid of. Shocking. But funny. It is not for all, and I was not all that keen on the length of the “short” which preceded it, but there were brilliant sections, and I am so happy I now know that Eric Idle wrote “The Galaxy.”

Amadeus

86

For the movie to be good, it doesn’t have to be historically accurate. Fine film, superb music.

The Matrix

93

New peak in FX; fun concepts; tight story. The plot moves from one fully-formed environment to another equally satisfying, but very different – and does it many times. Whoa. Excellent.

Music Man

92

Is there a better pure musical than this? Some of the most FUN stage music ever.

[Leah home for an evening – a musical had to be on the schedule. J ]

No comments: