Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Good News! "Wicked" again.

I saw Wicked for the first time just under two years ago. As I mentioned in yesterday's blog, I was with two colleagues in London last week, and we saw Jersey Boys on Wednesday evening, intending to leave Thursday for sightseeing. Well, we saw sights! Oh boy, did we see sights. We also walked for over 6 miles, and by late afternoon, we were ready to stop walking. So we decided that seeing another show was the thing to do. Neither of my companions had seen Wicked, and I loved the idea of seeing it again.

We had to take a couple of underground lines to reach the theater from the Leicester district where we bought the tickets, but we had just enough time and then we settled in for an amazing evening of theater.

Some of my friends are greatly affected by opera. I haven't had that experience, and may never, but now I can truly appreciate how this is possible. I was blown away the first time I saw Wicked, and now -- knowing the story and the music so well -- I just immersed myself in the performances. It was very interesting hearing the principles speak in various UK accents (Boc was Scottish, for example) and replacing a few words with English equivalents ("We were classmates at Uni") and Elphaba was played with more of a chip on her shoulder from the beginning than what I remembered in New York, but each of these was just a slight variation in the production that made it unique, even as the overall experience was much the same.

I would see this musical over and over, and I cannot wait to see it again with Sherry.

I've also learned to appreciate how great these "Day Of" ticket places can be. I would gladly spend a week in London or New York buying whatever tickets were available on the day of the show and just breathing drama every evening!

No comments: