Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Wicked

We had many great experiences in New York, and over time I expect I'll talk about many of them. I talked about Times Square yesterday. I really should write something about the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) and NYU. "Rent" was a great experience. But when people ask me to pick one favorite thing, well, it's my topic for today. Today, I will write about "Wicked."

I had been aware of the existence of this musical, but had never heard the music or heard the story. I knew Leah loved it (she saw it in London.) I knew the premise: What happened before Dorothy landed in Oz, and how did the Wicked Witch of the West originate?

Thankfully, I never knew any more than that, so when I walked into the theater, I had no preconceptions. Because knowing nothing about the story was so important to my enjoyment, I will write carefully, because I do not want to run the risk of spoiling it for anyone else.

This was amazing! From the moment the orchestra sounded the first chord, I was hooked. Yes, it was my first Broadway show, so the professionalism of the entire production was impressive. But the actors were so talented, I believed them as their characters and cared about them from the start. The set created a mood of fantasy and foreboding and whimsy, all at the same time. The story was clever and intelligent. And the music was brilliant!

I bought the CD as my one souvenir from the trip, and I've listened to it over and over again. There are lyrics which are among the best I've ever heard in terms of telling truth while being entertaining and fitting into the context of the story.

"Happy is what happens when all your dreams come true." Oh, really?

"Those who don't try never look foolish." And what do we learn from this?

There are more, but they might spoil things. Please, if you've never seen the show, don't go Google the lyrics! Give yourself the chance to see it fresh. It will be in the Twin Cities (for those of you in the midwest area) this fall.

And then, in musicals, there are those songs that bring down the house -- and "Wicked" has more than one!

I didn't think it would get better than "The Wizard and I." That song could have been the anchor of other musicals. But not "Wicked." I could have given a standing ovation after "What is this Feeling?" or "Popular", and "I'm Not That Girl" had tears in my eyes. But then ...

"Defying Gravity" was so spectacular! Indescribably amazing. Music, set, direction, acting -- all combined to a moment I will always remember.

And we still weren't done, because "For Good" truly did make me cry.

I don't think I ever want people to make a movie of this musical. I'm afraid they'd add connecting dialog, thereby diluting the simplicity, the purity of the story and the importance of the lyrics. I'm sure they'd overdo the effects.

No, this is meant to be seen on stage. I hope I will see it many more times. Perhaps, someday, with Leah in the cast.

Until then, I will listen to the soundtrack and relive the experience in my memory. And it will be "wonderful" every time!


No comments: