Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Movie Micro-Reviews: Edition 36

Most of these are vacation movies. And I feel as if I've left some out.

Doubt

55

How can a movie with such wonderful performances be rated so low? The pacing. I would get engrossed in one scene, and then totally get pulled out of the atmosphere by time the next one happened. The climactic scene between Hoffman and Streep was thrilling, but not enough.

Gran Torino

81

How can such an unlikeable character be so, well, likeable? Walt has prejudices on top of his racism, his angry exterior hides an angrier inner core. And yet; and yet. Deep down inside he knows good and evil. In many ways, he’s comparable to Streep’s character in Doubt. Gran Torino flowed better. And had humor. Uncomfortable humor, to be sure.

I won’t own it, but I’m sure glad I saw it.

P.S. I Love You

85

What an excellent story. This is a “romantic comedy” because they don’t have a phrase for its type. Yeah, there’s romance; yeah, there’s comedy. But it’s a drama about life and dealing with loss and, wow.

First reviewed in Edition 16. Re-viewed this time because Sarah & Troy hadn’t seen it.

Hancock

80

So glad I saw this! So glad it wasn’t what it looked like in previews. Well, it was, but it was more!

We Are Marshall

68

More than a football movie; that’s true. McConnaughey got a chance to play someone other than a charming eligible bachelor, and he pulled it off. I was touched, and I’m glad I saw it.

Watchmen

79

I saw the Director’s Cut version, which is unnecessarily bloodier, with a couple of poorly acted throw-in scenes. (Rating 75) But the movie itself? Here’s my initial review:

I am impressed. Dark, graphic, but not as tied to the comic images as I expected from the director of “300.” I got into it. But not for the faint of heart, or those wanting a typical hero story. It’s not Dark Knight, but it’s not Fantastic Four either.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

92

Yes, we went and saw it again. Even better the second time around. Original review here.

Pollock

51

As a biopic, it was honest. As a film, it wasn’t very gripping. Can only recommend to people really interested in the artist behind the art.

I’ve Loved You So Long

60

Though it was paced pretty slowly, the characters were believable, and we really come to appreciate the main character, very subtly played by Kristin Scott Thomas. Probably more moving in its original language.

(Yes, we watched a foreign film. We did it with English dubbing. Worked pretty well.)

Importance of Being Earnest (The)

44

Some shows are just better as plays, and not as movies. Yawn.

No comments: