Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Great Courses so far

In February, I wrote about the Great Courses, from The Teaching Company. Since that time, I've completed five courses. Over time, I'd like to blog about the things I learned from each of them. [Why should I blog about them? Partially to pass on some interesting things I learned. Also, to help solidify the learning in my mind. I find I learn something more deeply if I have to express what I've learned to someone else.]

But today, I just thought I'd list the courses, with a thought or two about my reaction to each.

Einstein's Relativity and the Quantum Revolution: Modern Physics for Non-Scientists, 2nd Edition. I blogged about this twice (here and here) so I might not have to blog about it again, but I will say that I enjoyed this course as much as any of them. I think it makes science (physics in particular) accessible and interesting.

Books That Have Made History: Books That Can Change Your Life. Again, I've blogged about this before (here, and here) and I even wrapped up the basic theme in this entry. I'm pretty convinced I will get another Great Course from this same lecturer. He summarized the stories, and the themes of the stories, so well.

Science and Religion. I believe I had only one entry about this course, but it deserves more. Especially since I blogged before I had heard the whole thing, and learned that my insinuation about Galileo was wrong (or at least misinformed.) A very worthwhile course, indeed! Especially for a Christian who is also a Scientist (and teacher) at heart.

Science Wars: What Scientists Know and How They Know It. I have not touched on this at all in my blog, and it deserves a reaction. I shall schedule a blog post on it sometime after my vacation, I think. It was not what I expected (because I didn't read the description well enough) but it was quite worthwhile. Philosophy and Science and History all in one.

Great Debate: Advocates and Opponents of the American Constitution. A truly historical course, and I knew that going into it. (Several of my courses have had a strong element of history, but this was pure history.) I only blogged once in relation to this. I think it deserves a synopsis, too. Sometime. Before I forget too much. There's quite a bit that relates well to politics today.

No comments: