Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Well, that explains a lot

I am listening to the final lecture in Einstein's Relativity and the Quantum Revolution: Modern Physics for Non-Scientists, {not at this very moment, but you get the point} and I'm impressed. Most of the lectures were quite possible to follow -- some easier than others, but all of them possible -- with my level of education. In fact, there were several points where Dr. Wolfson pointedly stayed away from the math that supports the physics (because the course is designed for non-scientists and hence non-mathematicians) and I wanted to stop him and say "No, please, show me the equations." But, fortunately, the accompanying booklet had some of them, along with his most important visual aids, so any questions I had were answered, at least one level deep, by looking at them.

So now I have a basic understanding of many of the topics in physics which have long intrigued me. I can't explain it all[1], but I can explain some of it, and I can understand most of it.

The experience has confirmed a few things for me:
1) I really want to learn more about Dark Matter (there's a Great Courses course on that, too.)
2) I want to review this material until I can explain some of the concepts upon request because...
3) People who argue for a "young" Earth (or young universe") simply do not understand the weight of science they are denying.

One of the other two courses I own {so far} will soon be in my car's CD player. I think I will listen to "Books that Have Made History..." next, to give my scientific brain a chance to absorb this course while my artistic brain concentrates on the next. This has been a great use of my time.



.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*

[1]Honestly, is there anyone who doesn't like Melissa Joan Hart.

No comments: