Monday, June 8, 2009

Movie Micro-Reviews: Edition 33

I'll be on the road for a bit, so this week might have fewer entries than normal. Still, we've seen some movies lately, so it's time for another edition of micro-reviews. I see I'm finally including my micro-review for "Shakespeare in Love" and I notice that my older micro-reviews were sometimes very "micro." Wow. Such a good film probably deserves more. But, there it is.

P.S. I Love You

85

Reviewed in Edition 16. I gave it to Sherry. I’m happy she likes it. I sure do.

Sister Act 2

69

Fun. Love that music! Predictable, but I still love seeing it – or having it on in the beackground. That last piece is awesome.

Sliding Doors

65

A very interesting concept – how different would Helen’s life be if only she had/had not gone through those sliding doors? Are some things “meant to be” no matter what? Is delaying bad news better for you, or worse? A good movie to see once.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

62

Sweet and very familiar to people with real families (all of us.) This might be a once-in-a-career movie for Nia Vardalos (but I hope not.) Funny and loveable.

Cider House Rules (The)

71

Not what I expected, but a very good movie. Life was different in the early part of the 20th century, though the life lessons are the same. What would have been better? An actor I believed more than Tobey Maguire.

Quantum of Solace

62

This is not the old Bond. Still good action sequences, but the fun is gone. OK for what it is.

Taken

73

Get over the fact that Liam Neeson’s daughter just happens to have an ex-CIA father who is as good as Bond, as ruthless as Jack Bauer, and as resourceful as John MacLain – but without the humor. This was a thrill ride, once it started. I hope the evil he fought does not exist in the real world, but if it does, it’s easy to pull for the hero wiping out the villains.

What’s Eating Gilbert Grape?

80

So glad we rented this! Depp was perfect (again) as a young man trapped by his life. DiCaprio was fantastic as Depp’s “challenged” brother. I had no idea what would happen, yet when it did, it was perfect.

Shakespeare in Love

92

Tremendous weaving of what might have been with what probably was with what never could have happened.

No comments: