Friday, February 20, 2009

Blitzes, Streams and Floods

"Lost" was on Wednesday night. Immediately following that, "Life on Mars" was on. The opening scene had "Ballroom Blitz" playing as the action took place.

"Self," I said to myself, "you have to buy that song someday."

But I forgot about it.

Then last night, when Leah got home, we watched the episode of "Lost" again so she could see it. And, sure enough, "Life on Mars" started playing as "Lost" finished (that's how VCRs work, you know -- not like these fancy DVR devices the kids are so down with these days [I typed that last bit with my crotchety old man voice]) and there was "Ballroom Blitz" again.

So I decided I simply had to get on Amazon.com's MP3 site and download "Ballroom Blitz" (the original, by Sweet.)

Now, once, I'm there, what else should I buy? Well, I had recently blogged about the Day the Music Died, and that reminded me that I don't own any Buddy Holly. Or Ritchie Valens, or Big Bopper. Queue those up! Oh, and what about that classic, "Rock Around the Clock?" Get that too. But searching for it, I also saw "R.O.C.K. in the USA."

And the hits just keep coming! A stream of consciousness led me down a strange path and before long I had music from:

  • Sweet
  • Buddy Holly
  • The Big Bopper
  • Los Lobos (the recordings of Ritchie Valens were so poor)
  • Bill Haley and His Comets
  • John Mellencamp
  • Will Smith (and DJ Jazzy Jeff)
  • Celine Dion
  • John Denver
  • Enya

There were probably more. I've lost track. (It's a good thing I don't buy Magic much anymore. Or play it online. Otherwise I wouldn't have the personal money to buy this stuff.)

Now, it's time to listen!

No comments: