Thursday, October 30, 2008

Publishing News - The Google Settlement

I may never be a published author. I may, but I may not.

If I ever am, it will be in a new writing and publishing world, created by The Google Settlement, described concisely here from The Millions. I'm glad Nathan Bransford wrote about it in his blog, since his is the "writing" blog I read.

Imagine being able to Google any book ever published, in print or out of print, even if its copyright is still valid.

Research will be so much easier. Provided, of course, we can find a way to trust the version being served up. And also provided we are willing to pay for the investment Google has in its Library Project.

I wonder what this will do to the ability of authors to make a living.

[I'm very link-y today, aren't I?]

No comments: