Monday, August 20, 2007

Latest Micro-Reviews - Edition 2

Here's what we've seen recently. When we re-view something I've already reviewed, I'll probably not re-review.

Live Free or Die Hard

81

A fun, action-filled movie. It’s not as good as “Die Hard: With a Vengeance” but I had fun, and there were some spectacular stunts. When we saw "16 Blocks" this is sort of what we were expecting.

Ghost Rider

41

Well, for completeness sake, I’m glad I saw it. And the chains were cool. But the story was weak, it was hard to follow, and the logic didn’t work.

Superman: the Movie

74

88

Another movie that was significantly better originally, but it’s still quite good. Reeve really had the best feel for what Superman was like (though I still prefer Dean Cain’s Clark Kent, Reeve had a good take on him too.) And the romance scenes were great. Add the comedy of Hackman as Luthor (which was an interesting way to go, but it worked) and you have a fun film, even 29 years later.

Die Hard

87

Excellent comic-book-like action film. Smart. You can clearly see why people wanted more installments.

Dr. Strangelove

66

Sorry – it didn’t hold up over time. It was worth seeing again, once. Wish I hadn’t bought it.

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

99

Triumphant, heroic, hopeful – and fun! [I still miss the original celebration music at the end of the film.]

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

92

An excellent adaptation of a very long book. I really liked the relationship emphasis for Hermione and Ron. They got the critical story elements right. The challenges were particularly well done – dragons, merfolk, maze – and OH that confrontation at the end!

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

93

Yes, we saw this again.


These were not all viewed this weekend. But I think I have most of the movies we've seen since the last time I posted micro-reviews.

No comments: