Saturday, April 4, 2020

Simon & Garfunkel Greatest hits - Album 7 of 10

Album Title: Greatest Hits
Artist: Simon & Garfunkel

Album 7 of 10 in the 10 Album Challenge

Thoughts

When I was growing up, I heard the albums my parents played, of course.  Some of them are good memories, but didn't stick with me as music I'd listen to later in life (The Four Lads for example, have fun songs, and thinking about them make me smile, but I don't have them in my digital library.)

But then there's this album.  As soon as I started buying CDs, I bought this (and Neil Diamond's greatest hits, which I lost somewhere.)  And as soon as I started getting digital music, I ripped this album and I still listen to it, and mix tracks of it into "mix tape" playlists I create.  "The Sound of Silence," "Scarborough Fair/Canticle," "Cecelia," -- when I think about it, is there a song on here which is not perfect for some mood or other?

While I don't continue to buy most of Paul Simon's music, I do also love Graceland, and I probably never would have listened to that if I hadn't loved this album so much.  (Though the video of "You Can Call Me Al" was super clever and might have attracted me.)

Anyway, this album also represents another thing: my entry into pop music from before my time.  Pre-teens and teenagers often dismiss anything from their parents' generation as unworthy, and I realize I had a bent in that direction.  But this album was so good, it was the one I associate with me thinking "well, if this is good, maybe there are other things done before 1974 which are worth listening to.

So it makes the list.

No comments: