Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Queen - A Night at the Opera - Album 1 of 10

Album Title: A Night at the Opera
Artist: Queen

Album 1 of 10 in the 10 Album Challenge

Thoughts

 Let's be honest here.  I mean, if I can't be honest in this little exercise, what's the point.  So, honesty:

When I decided to answer Shawn's "challenge", what was the very first album I thought of?

This one.

I was first introduced to Queen by Craig Nordmoe, probably in junior high school.  According to wikipedia, this album was released in November of 1975, which would have been in 9th grade.  I sincerely doubt I bought it right away.  I was always a "follower" as regards popular music in my youth.  Once I owned this album, I'm sure I played it some, but honestly I probably heard it at friends' houses more than I played it.  Back then, listening to "records" required access to a stereo, and the only one in my house was a big console in the living room. I just didn't listen to music on my own very often in those days.

But fast forward over time.  What music stuck with me?  What music did I buy on CD as soon as CDs became "the thing" and I knew I'd have to replace my LPs?  What music did I get excited to hear every time it came on the radio?  Queen.  Particularly from this album.  Of course, there's "Bohemian Rhapsody." But there's also "Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon" and "You're My Best Friend" and "Seaside Rendezvous" and "The Prophet's Song" and "Good Company!"  Gems -- all of them. And "Love of My Life!" Freddie's voice is a paintbrush in the hands of a master!

I eventually even came to appreciate "I'm in Love with my Car" and "Death on Two Legs (Dedicated to ...)" though that took a while.

In one sense, this album belongs on the list just because of its own merits, but in another sense, it marks the album that got me into Queen and a group of other artists which were favorites of my friends, but which I would not have discovered on my own. 

And then there's the social awareness aspect of Queen and other music artists in the late 1970s: beginning with Freddie Mercury and Elton John (and David Bowie, I guess, but I didn't listen to him much), the heterosexual teenager that I was began to get introduced to the concepts that had been repressed in American culture for so long.  This allowed me to be more ready when some of my friends started "coming out."  I had had a chance to think about social norms, about why anything other than heterosexual love would be "hidden."

It might be 20/20 hindsight, but it's interesting to me how I can look back now and see that, while most of my friends loved Queen (and Elton John), the depth to which they appreciated the artists varied.  Yes, I loved Queen's music. And I loved Freddie's voice and artistry.  But thinking back on it, a few of my friends sensed a kindred spirit when they listened to Freddie.  I'm glad those friends who needed to see someone "like them" found that in the musical artists they hear as we neared adulthood. 

Well, that's enough for this first one, I think.  Oh, except for one more thing: I am thrilled that the film "Bohemian Rhapsody" was made, and made so well.  It helps cement this selection as one of my 10 Albums.






No comments: