Tuesday, March 31, 2020

ELO - Out of the Blue - Album 2 of 10

Album Title: Out of the Blue
Artist: ELO (Electric Light Orchestra)

Album 2 of 10 in the 10 Album Challenge

Thoughts 

As I started the selection process for the 10 Album Challenge, immediately after A Night at the Opera, the first album I thought of was this one.

As was the case with Queen, I was introduced to ELO by Criag Nordmoe.  While I think most everyone of my generation have a Queen song (or two, or four) they liked and would still recognize, even if they were not Queen fans, I think ELO was less well-known.  Oh, I suppose if people in my generation heard "Evil Woman" or "Don't Bring Me Down" on a "classic rock" playlist, they'd recognize it from their youth, but I'm sure far fewer of them would be able to name the artist as being ELO as would be able to tell you that "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "You're My Best Friend" are Queen's.

Still, I heard this group frequently when with my friends, and the mix of pop/rock and classical, with an unapologetic use of electronic music really tripped something inside me. 

This particular album not only had a super-cool sci-fi-esque jacket, but it was a double album with several unforgettable songs, including "Turn to Stone," "Night in the City," "Mr. Blue Sky" and my personal favorite "Jungle."

I guess part of what makes this album, and this group, influential for me is that it was somewhat "clique-ish."  That is, our group of friends really, really liked it, but it was relatively unnoticed by others. 

I didn't realize it at the time, but sometimes art attracts people initially because of what it is -- ELO was unique at the time in how it mixed its genres -- but then it becomes special because it becomes a defining emblem for  a group.  For me, that's what this album represents. I could be entirely wrong about ELO -- maybe everyone in my generation remembers them as well as they remember Queen.  But it didn't feel like that to me at the time, and it still doesn't.  And that perception is part of what makes this album special to me -- it reminds me of a specific set of friends, and the times we had together.  And it mixes genres in ways that future artists take advantage of all the time.

And it's still a great album.  With music you can listen to over and over again.

No comments: