Tuesday, November 6, 2018

The OA

Title: The OA
Outlet: Netflix
Net: A show built on a mystery, centered on a character you want to understand.

As I said in the post which contains The List, I realized, as I was discussing "TV" shows with people, I had begun to forget to recommend "The OA."  And that's too bad!

The problem with trying to get people to watch "The OA" is that telling them almost anything about the plot spoils something which gets revealed in such an entertaining way, often in such a profound way, that it seems unfair to do that to a friend.

Here's kinda what I mean.

When Sherry and I started the first episode of "The OA" the ONLY thing we knew about it was that it had been recommended to us by people who we trust - people who know the kind of thing we enjoy watching.  Whoever it was (please take credit if you were among the people who recommended it; I simply can't recall; I have this feeling it was Lucas and Amelia, but maybe not...) also told us to watch it without knowing anything.  And we did.

Each episode unwraps more and more of the mystery -- while, of course, adding new mysteries which need unwrapping -- without ever (ever!) seeming like a typical "red herring driven" or "you know this is not the answer because there's still 20 minutes left in the episode" mystery.  This is not some "whodunit?"  It's a "what's going on?!?"

Did you ever watch "Lost?" If you did, and you were drawn in as so much of the viewing public was, the "hook" of that show was the surprise endings that might have sorta/kinda answered some small part of a mystery, while at the same time shocking you with a NEW mystery you couldn't wait to see unfold next week.  Well, at its best, "Lost" was good at that.  "The OA" is at least that good.

Now I know at least one person who was not hooked after watching an episode or two, so I must accept that this show is not for everyone.  But I think if you just start watching episode one on a Friday night, and you give it your full attention, you will finish the season by Monday.  At least for us, it was binge-worthy on the order of "Stranger Things."

And I still haven't told you what it's about.  Maybe, someday, I'll add some spoilers to this.  But not now.  I will not spoil the thrill you can get if you walk in with just a recommendation.

It's good.  Start it.  Pay attention.