Monday, March 25, 2013

Stairway to Heaven - Heart Tribute

Every once in a while -- or maybe more often than that -- I come across a video and share it on Facebook. But some of them are definitely worth saving a little more "permanently"  -- and deserve some comment.  This is one of those videos.

"Stairway to Heaven" was released when I was only 10, and I suppose it took me a while to first hear it.  But once I did, it became a part of my youth, and a part of the mystery of poetry which is music.  I imagine I am not alone.  "Stairway to Heaven" has rock, it has haunting minor elements, and the imagery of the lyrics evokes far more in my mind than the words would on their own.

And then there's Heart.  Ann and Nancy Wilson can really make a song rock, but in songs like "These Dreams" they can also paint lush pictures.  And, clearly, Ann can sing!

So, when I found this video, in which Heart does "Stairway to Heaven" in a tribute to Led Zeppelin, I watched it. And watched it again.  I simply love their interpretation.  In many ways, it's clearly the original.  In other ways, it's got Heart stamped all over it.

So, if you like the original, or if you like Heart, or both -- I bet you'll like this.




2 comments:

Buck said...

That's a pretty good version. Having Carl Kassel do the intro was cool.

Steven C. Pitcher said...

Great version. The Wilson's are very special...goosebumps on some of it. The ending with the choir is just spectacular. Jason Bonham is solid as usual.