Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Glad I Bought

This past year or so, I have made a few purchases which I am very glad I made.  In each case, I was a little concerned about buying the item, but in each case, the result has been quite positive.

Bose® - QuietComfort® 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® Headphones


I had heard about these headphones a few times over the years.  Then, a couple of years back, a friend of mine let me take his business-class seat on a trip to Europe.  He sat in coach.  That is one excellent friend, let me tell you.  (Thanks, Ian.)  Well, in business class, the passengers each had a set of Bose noise-cancelling headphones.  I could not believe how good they were.  Compared to similar, but cheaper, alternatives I had used, these were essentially silent.  Ever since then, I wanted to buy some, but could not convince myself I was worth the $300.  This past year, finally, with another trip to Japan, plus many other plane flights certain to happen, I used some gift money, added some personal money, and now I have a comfortable experience every time I travel. 

Rockport Calaska Shoes

So this might seem like a strange item to include.  But here are a couple of things you should know about me.  First, I travel a lot.  By plane.  That means I frequently take my shoes off in airports.  I had been advised more than once to get a pair of shoes for traveling which would not need to be untied and retied after security.  And, when I travel on business, I need a nice pair of shoes which will be suitable to wear as I meet clients.  I had never believed I could find a single pair of shoes which would be both of these things -- slip-on and "dressy" enough -- and which would also be comfortable enough for long travel days.  Well, these Rockport shoes proved that such shoes exist.  But to get them, I had to get over the second thing you should know about me.  I have always resist spending a significant amount of money on a pair of shoes.  But, in the hope I would have success, I finally got past that resistance.  I am so glad I did. 

Hunger Games Blu-Ray Boxed Set

I was clearly going to buy the Hunger Games blu-ray when it came out.  But, these days I like buying a combo pack with a DVD, as well, so we can watch our movies in blu-ray when we're in our living room, but we can also see the movies when we only have a DVD player around.  Well, the "combo" option when I went to Best Buy was this big boxed set with much more than just two copies of the film.  Typically, I resist special packaging with lots of extras.   This time, though, I went for it.  And I am glad I did.  We watched one of the exclusive extras from this set after seeing the movie again, and were impressed with the process documented in the extras.   It made me appreciate some of the directorial decisions which were made, and which make the film work so well for me.

Hyundai Santa Fe - Used 2010

I didn't ever think I would own an SUV.  I figured the next time I bought a car, it would be a new car, and it would be another inexpensive, reliable small car, like the Hyundai Elantra I bought in 2002.  I have been so happy with that car, in fact, I expected to buy another one when the first finally started giving me trouble.  You see, with all the kids gone, it didn't seem like we needed anything bigger than that.  Well, turns out that's not true.  Fairly frequently we have found we want to cart something around which will not fit in a small car.  And when it was getting close to the time we'd need to help Leah move her things from our house to another, we decided the frequency of needing a larger vehicle was high enough we should consider something bigger than an Elantra.  And then, there it was -- another Hyundai, but bigger.  A little used, but with its warranty still in force, and it's so much more comfortable and quiet than the Elantra. 

I wonder if I can have another year with as much success in new things as I had last year.  Sure, they are just things.  In the grand scheme, they are in a lower tier of importance than my family, my friends, the things I learn and believe.  But hey, we all have things.   It's pretty cool when they work out as well as these did.






No comments: