Wednesday, December 12, 2012

On 12/12/12 - The Twelve Albums of Christmas

For 12/12/12 I decided I really needed to have a 12-themed post.  What to do, what to do?

As I was listening to my Christmas music, the song "12 Days of Christmas" came on, and I knew what my topic had to be....

I love Christmas music.  I listen to it during much of the year -- far more often than most people, but we each have our idiosyncrasies,and I have quite a large library.  Every year, I buy a new Christmas music album, and I often receive more from people who know how much I enjoy the genre.  This year's album was a disappointment, over all, because among the 14 selections, there were only four I would classify as worth listening to again.  But those four are excellent, and with our music technology these days, it's easy to ensure I listen to those, and never hear the others again.

However, there are a great many Christmas albums which are on my "must hear" list.  So, today, here they are, grouped as necessary, with my comments. And the images are "clickable."  They take you to places you can buy the albums, if you want.

Amy Grant Christmas Albums


As Sherry and I started our lives together, Amy Grant was one of our shared favorite artists.  Sherry knew her work before I did, introduced me to it, and we both continue to enjoy her music.  Amy is a Christian, started her songwriting and singing with Christian music, and she brings a conviction along with her beautiful voice and spot-on arrangements.  I've never had a "Tennessee Christmas" but I can image it.  "Breath of Heaven," "'Til the Season Comes Round Again," "Heirlooms" and "Grown Up Christmas List" are all-time favorites of mine.  And her "Silent Night" is so beautiful.

Mannheim Steamroller Christmas Albums


Almost as long as Amy Grant's music as been in our house, Mannheim Steamroller's has.  These albums are so well known these days that I don't need to describe them, but the innovative take they have, with their reliance on instrumentals, makes them unique.  "Good King Wenceslas" and "Deck the Halls" and "Stille Nacht" are fantastic, and that's just on their first album. Chip Davis is a genius. I had to limit my images to two in order to allow other albums to make the 12. 

Speaking of limiting myself to fewer images while covering more CDs ...

Christmas at Luther

This annual event did not begin until after we graduate from Luther, but Adam started at Luther in 2002, we attended the performance of Christmas at Luther that year, which included "Hope for Resolution" which can still bring tears to my eyes.  For the next several years, until Sarah's last year at Luther, we enjoyed participating in these events.

The CDs contain some of the best choral Christmas you will ever hear.  The organizers of the event always include several audience hymn/carols, and, to their credit, these are also included on the CD, so you can join in and sing along with hundreds of celebrants.
Yes, I know it's sort of a cheat to include only one of the CDs in this list.  I listen to every one of them I own.  If you want to own them, follow this link.

Speaking of Sarah ...

Trans-Siberian Orchestra Christmas


This is Christmas music for a new generation. T-SO is a rock orchestral group, and the songs here -- both arrangements of traditional songs and their own compositions -- are primarily rock-centric.  There are exceptions, but you should be prepared for something modern if you listen to this for the first time.  I've enjoyed the albums since I got them, but it's also true that I like them more each year.  I'm so glad Sarah and Troy got these two for me.

Michael W Smith - Christmastime

Here's an album I got, having never heard, because I like Michael W Smith's Christian music.  I am very happy I did it.

Like Amy Grant, Christmas music has a special meaning to Michael W Smith, as both of them are Christian artists.

Smith is also an accomplished pianist and arranger, and his renditions of carol medleys, as well as "Welcome to Our World" are well worth purchasing this album.


Julie Andrews and Andre Previn


I think I've written about this before but indulge me.

When I was growing up, one of the Christmas albums we had was an album which was distributed by the Firestone Tire Company.  Companies used to do that sort of thing.  In fact, I think we had two Firestone Christmas albums, but one which always stuck with me was the one featuring Julie Andrews (Sound of Music, My Fair Lady (Broadway), Mary Poppins -- you know her) with an orchestra led by Andre Previn.

This is simply beautiful music, which will be enjoyed by any lover of Christmas music, I think.  For me, it has special significance because of my personal history.  I'm so glad I could find it on CD so many years later.

But hey, speaking of music being distributed by companies you might not expect ...

Lorie Line Christmas - from Chex!


Yes, you read that right. From Chex.  (And yes, the link behind the picture to the right will take you to Amazon, which claims to be able to sell it to you.)

I admit it -- I had never heard any of Lorie Line's piano music until we got this CD.  I still haven't bought any more, (Why, Steve?  Why!?!) but I simply adore this disk.

Her versions are not solely piano, but they are instrumental.  Excellent music to have on during a Christmas party, or to listen to quietly in an empty house.

And for the 12th album, I have a decision to make.  One last spot.  Too many good choices.  Because it seems to get on my playlist more than any of the rest this year, I will choose ...


Glee Christmas


Yes, I am a Gleek of sorts.  And I certainly gleeked out for their first Christmas episode.  This is the only Christmas CD of theirs I own.  (Hint, hint!)

Most of the carols on this CD are upbeat, because the TV show is about a Glee club, but there are a couple of quiet arrangements, and generally the happy, energetic voices of these young artists fit the songs they do very well.  "Deck the Rooftop" is a fun "mash-up" -- for which the Glee show is famous; "Baby It's Cold Outside" is groundbreaking and cute; "Angels We Have Heard on High" rocks, in the very best way.

So, there it is, the list of my Twelve Christmas Albums (with a little cheating) on 12/12/12.  If you're a Christmas music fan like I am, you probably have the same trouble limiting yourself.  Feel free to tell me about selections I have missed.  I'm always looking for more!







No comments: