Monday, September 13, 2010

Glee - As If I Need Another TV Show to Love

If you follow me on Facebook, you probably already know -- I broke down.

All last year I heard about this TV show, and everyone who had seen it who knew me told me I would love it. It's a "feel good" show. It has great music. For a guy who loves watching the end of "Sister Act 2" over and over again, it's a clear choice.

The show, is, of course, Glee.

I resisted watching it last year. Why? Well, for one thing, it plays opposite NCIS, one of my favorite shows. And we don't have TiVo or any other DVR capability. [Someday. When all the tuitions are paid for...]

For another, Sherry didn't seem all that interested. [Weak excuse - had we watched it and she enjoyed it, we'd still be back to reason 1.]

One more reason -- I have too many shows I want to follow already. [I count 7 shows I followed regularly last year which are returning, plus 4 new shows I want to try, and 3 returning shows I think deserve a shot.] Can I really afford to like another show?

But finally, to be honest, I resist crazes. If something gets a lot of buzz before it comes out, or just after it does, I have a tendency to avoid it. I missed the first season of Lost this way [caught up on DVD - the best invention since sliced bread.] I skipped season 1 of Survivor [not that I am sorry to have missed Richard walking around naked] partially because I thought the concept would just show people at their deceptive, greedy worst, without any real strategy [I was wrong, but ultimately they made The Bachelor to fill the void] but also partially because everyone was going to watch it. [Yes, it's a bad reason. A flaw in my character, or at least in my reasoning.]

But Marion likes it. And Pete. And now, even my parents are into Glee. So, since Netflix has the first season available, I put it on my queue to start watching before Season 2 begins. I watched episode 1 (the director's cut of the pilot) last night. Yes, it's somewhat formulaic high school, but we need a template around which we build, and they are taking this thing well past "Freaks & Geeks plus Music" [which is not too bad a description....] It was so good. I care about the characters already, and they ended the show with an awesome version of "Don't Stop Believin." C'mon! Journey!

I'm hooked.

No comments: