Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Movie Micro-Review: Edition 92







Terminator 2: Judgment Day
86
The action in this film is first rate.  The concept, especially given its predecessor, is intriguing.  The villain is worthy. And this film contained two “born to play this part” performances: Hamilton and Schwarzenegger.
Blade Runner
73
I own the Director’s Cut, which ends differently.  Clearer what & who everyone is.  A very fleshed-out world.  Not as much “point” to it as I remembered, but still a good movie, even this old.
Odd Life of Timothy Green (The)
75
What a sweet story.  What a crash course in parenting.  Recommended!  Very safe for all ages and sensibilities.
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
84
A fine rendering, even with the modifications and additions.  Nice to be back in Tokein’s and Jackson’s Middle Earth.  A little long in spots.  Reminds me that the same Peter Jackson who gave us LotR also gave us King Kong.  Nevertheless, it’s fun, it’s good, I liked it, and I will rewatch it.  Not as often as LotR, but I will.
Dark Knight Rises (The)
87
An excellent wrap-up to this arc in the Batman mythos.  I could quibble about a few things – mostly technical filmmaking – but why?  It gave Bruce/Batman enough to do, it introduced some really good characters (yes, I love Anne Hathaway’s Catwoman) and it had enough satisfying surprises.
Animal House
91
A classic.  I still laugh.  Belushi was a comic genius.  But Tim Matheson made the story.
Rent
87
Loved the story.  Loved the characters.  Loved the primary songs.  So what was wrong?  Well, if you’re going to do a rock opera, there should be no un-sung dialog.  However, this was NOT a rock opera, and I agree with that choice.  So why was there so much singing of dialog?  Most of the Mimi/Roger relationship was sung, but most of it was not a song – just sung dialog.  Considering that a main plot point was that Roger could not write a song, it seemed incongruous.  Still, “525,600 Minutes” is excellent, and I had never heard “La Vie Boheme” and it was fantastic.  Mark, Angel, and Maureen are the best characters.

No comments: