Wednesday, July 25, 2012

For the Record: Pikmin

Every once in a while, we feel like playing a video game.  Among the games which we re-play is Pikmin.  We did it again.  Sunday afternoon, we started it.  Monday night, after a full day of work, we finished it.

And I set personal records this time.

Complete in 15 "Game Days" - fewest ever.

Number of Pikmin lost - fewest ever.

As I have remarked before, one of the key attributes of a game which makes it a success for me is Replay Value.   At this point in my life, I own many games which have significant replay value.  Board games, card games and video games.  Shortly before playing Pikmin, we played Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword again, and its replay value is high, also.  But it's different. 

Zelda games are long, so replaying them requires an investment of quite a bit of time. Pikmin clearly can be completed in just a few hours of play time -- I'm guessing approximately six for an experienced player.  One of the aspects which makes replaying Pikmin fun is the chance to improve from time to time.  I remember distinctly when we beat the game in 18 "Game Days" and feeling like we'd never improve on that.  Yet we have.  A couple of times.  Zelda games, by contrast, don't really have that attribute.  You can choose to do more of the quests, or fewer, but improving on prior "records" doesn't really exist. 

Neither the playtime of the game nor the ability to shoot for new records would be enough, though, if the game play itself caused boredom.  Pikmin is fast-moving, intense, and FUN. 

This might be the last time I blog about this game -- but I bet it won't be the last time I play it.

I want Pikmin 3!

[Pikmin is a Nintendo GameCube game, which can be played on the Nintendo Wii.]

No comments: