Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Replay Value


As I mentioned obliquely last week, one of the attributes I look for in a game is replay value. In fact, it's one of the criteria I consider when deciding when deciding if I think a game is great.

I don't know that I'm ready to call Pikmin a great game, but its replay value certainly is high. After finishing Super Paper Mario, I realized that I would enjoy the real-time, no-conversation, high-dexterity aspects of Pikmin, so we started it again on Friday night. Last night, we finished it again. What fun! I was able to achieve my top score in two of the three categories, and I know how I could have made a run at the third as well.

We've played Pikmin at least five times (as far as I can tell, there's no way to tell past five -- but the best five scores are recorded) and I am certain I will play it again and again.

I appreciate that Nintendo made a point to allow Gamecube games to be played on the Wii, since I always have my Wii attached to my TV, so it's very easy to just decide to throw in a Gamecube game (such as Pikmin, or Pikmin 2) and start playing.

And, who knows? I might do so again soon!

No comments: