Monday, April 18, 2011

Movie Micro-Reviews: Edition 69





Big Fish
90
What a Tale!  Finney and McGregor were wonderful as a larger-than-life man.  Fantasy and family.  Loved it.  Clever and funny and fun – and I suspect there are some men who are very much like this – or I hope there are.
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
68
Scott falls for Ramona. The battle for her affections pits him against seven evil ex-es. Very clever. The video game motifs were delightful. And I bet if I were 25 years younger, it would speak to me even more. 
Almost Famous
83
Another movie I had never seen, was sure I’d like, and was surprised by how much.  Thanks for the loan, Shawn.  Such a cast!
300
73
The visual style of this movie was perfect for its subject.  Everything tinted in a golden hue, like the age of heroes should be.  Very bloody, but in a graphic-novel atmosphere.  And all the people were so perfectly sculpted.
Primer

Cool.  A movie you really need to watch.  And probably watch again. And discuss.  They don’t just tell you what’s going on – it’s like watching it really happen.  And then you wonder “What?” I’ll see it again.  And I won’t rate it until I do. Thanks, Lucas. Low-budget doesn’t mean low-concept.
Black Swan
85
Natalie Portman is every bit as good as people said, and the Academy Award makes sense.  Surreal, painful, excellent.
Feed the Fish
70
Proof that inexpensive indie movies can be every bit as good – especially if you might call them “romantic comedies” because they don’t have to be formulaic pairings of “beautiful A-list stars.”  Northern Wisconsin in the winter is one of the characters, and it’s almost the prettiest one. 
Creation
72
A view into the personal life and struggles of Charles Darwin as he wrestles with the implications of whether to write and publish “Origin of Species.” I wonder how much of the story of his daughter is true, because it certainly drove the story in the movie.

No comments: