Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Heroscape

In my new favorite games store this past weekend, I was looking around for accessories for D&D.  I figured I would at least buy some dice, but I was hoping to find some ready-to-play miniatures.  I had struck out on that front, and was trying to decide whether to just buy some Magic instead when I saw these boxes and packs of something called Heroscape.

Now, Heroscape initially drew my attention because in this wonderful box you get not a couple, but actually TEN miniatures.  Ten, ready-to-use fantasy miniatures.  Very cool miniatures.  (There's a Troll and there's a Dragon, for goodness sake!)  Honestly, you could feel good paying $30 just for those ten miniatures.  And then, also included, are plastic hex-based pieces which can be interlocked and stacked to produce 3-D terrain.  These, also, could be used in a D&D adventure.

But that's not all!  Oh, no!  Heroscape is also both a game and a game system.  I know, I know -- I'm late to this party.  There are thousands of players already.  But I don't know any of them. (Or if I do, they've kept their game to themselves.)  So, of course, I bought it. (I stayed sensible; I only bought the starter set.  I left the "booster armies" on the shelves at The Source.  I regret it already.)

I already want more.  I've only played two test games, but I can see the strategy emerging, even in simple games.  I have not even tried the more advanced rules. The basic rules are for a two-player game, so it's not going to work well as a "Dude Game" unless I learn the advanced rules, but we might try it anyway in its basic form for a Dude Night soon.

And, additionally, I will find a way to use the miniatures (at least) for the D&D campaigns.  I have to.  They are too cool to just sit in a box.

No comments: