Monday, November 15, 2010

Movie Micro-Reviews: Edition 61


It's time for Edition 61 of my Movie Micro-Reviews. Three of the six this time I had not seen before, and three I had, though A Clockwork Orange was in the distant past. I've liked Malcolm McDowell since seeing this. I don't know that he has ever been better, but I've never seen him have a weak performance.

And I finally saw Dogma. Glad I did. Not a "Sherry movie."

Oh, and I was very surprised to like (500) Days of Summer so much.


Gothika

57

It was a good movie to watch on Halloween, with some mystery, some startling moments, some supernatural elements – or were they? But all-in-all not as good as I had hoped.

Clockwork Orange (A)

86

A classic. Glad I saw it again. The questions it asks are timeless. What price liberty? What humanity without choice? Does selflessness really exist? The images are garish. We should avoid this, but can we?

V for Vendetta

93

Such atmosphere! Such a message! And “V” is one of the most memorable characters ever.

[First reviewed in Edition 5.]

(500) Days of Summer

77

Good. Quite good. Not what you expect, but definitely satisfying. The story is told in flashes forward and backward, and the male lead is recognizable to many young men.

Dogma

67

Extremely creative and fantastic view of religion, faith, God and God’s created beings, and quests. In many ways, excellent.

But, honestly, the language was too much. It detracted, for me, from the story. Other than that, I’d own it. If the language were more vital to the story, it would be fine. I just didn’t see it that way.

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

100

What can I say. The mood is perfect. The story hangs together. The characterizations are charming and thrilling. The effects enhance and draw you in, rather than amaze or distract. Fantastic.



1 comment:

Michael Hacker said...

I've never seen a Clockwork Orange even though I *own* it--it came in a Kubrick Boxed Set my sister gave me for Christmas one year. Great gift. I've seen most of the others in that set, with the exception of Full Metal Jacket. I don't like war movies more realistic than The Lord of the Rings.