Monday, November 1, 2010

Movie Micro-Reviews: Edition 60

I've built up quite a backlog for this edition -- my 60th! I also re-watched some movies I have not seen in a long, long time. (See the note for Close Encounters.)

Men Who Stare at Goats (The)

55

The idea was clever, and I liked the characters, but on the whole, it didn’t do enough for me. I blame the direction, because I think it had the potential to be cathartic and cool. Individual performances were fine, but nothing motivated my emotions enough to really care at the end. At least it was a short movie.

Informant! (The)

63

Not what I expected. As it unfolded, it made more sense for a while, then less. I’m still not sure what exactly happened, which is sort of the point, I guess.

Memento

90

One of the most unusual mysteries ever. If you could not make new memories, but you remembered your wife’s rape and murder, wouldn’t you go after her killer. Of course you would. But how? And who can you trust?

Sound of Music

91

The story of a young woman using her strength and conviction to find her life. The story of a man who needs to remember how to love. Some of the best stage music ever, and with the wonders of Austria is even more powerful.

Sex and Lucia

70

Certainly the sexiest movie I’ve ever reviewed (I wasn’t reviewing movies when I saw Body Heat or 9 ½ Weeks.) A very good story, though it was a tad hard to keep up with, given the subtitles (it’s in Spanish.) Engaging and interesting. And if you think you know what’s going on, think again.

Phoebe in Wonderland

88

What a surprising, excellent movie! Felicity Huffman was superb as a mother who has challenges the same as, and yet different than, most modern mothers. Elle Fanning, as Phoebe, showed amazing range. When she was sobbing in her bed, I could hear my kids.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

68

Burton and Depp did their things with this story, and we got a stranger version, rather than a sweeter version. I like it.

Inglourious Basterds

73

Don’t like bloody violence? Don’t like cruelty? Then what are you doing watching a Quentin Tarantino film about Nazis? This is exactly what you’d expect, except you don’t quite know what to expect. (I looked away a few times, and to be honest, should have looked away a few more.) Christoph Waltz as the SS Colonel was the villain and star, really. But yes, I enjoyed Brad Pitt’s caricaturish American Lieutenant and his Basterds.

Sleepy Hollow

77

Love the atmosphere. So many excellent actors, and such a deep, dark mood. And a fun mystery, too.

[Originally in Edition 5]

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

95

Was there ever a better, more hopeful first-contact movie? I don't think so. "Contact" maybe, but this was first.

[According to my records, I have not seen this since 2001. Wow.]

No comments: