Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I Don't Have to Answer That

My kids will tell you -- I never get phone calls. The phone may ring, but it will not be for me.

Now, I'm not like some people who never get phone calls. I will answer the phone. But when I am the only one in the house, the phone is pretty quiet.

Or it should be.

Lately, after work, I've been getting on the treadmill, putting on an episode of Star Trek: Deep Space 9 [1] and running.

Guess what happens when I am on that treadmill. You got it.

The darn phone rings!

The world these days seems to think that a ringing phone must be answered. But I tell you that some of us grew up knowing that a phone is a convenience, not a master.

So if it rings, and I am comfortably running 6.2 MPH, I'm going to keep running, thankyouverymuch. I don't have to answer!

And if you're calling to ask me for a donation, well, put this number on your 'do not call' list now!

Because I'll be eating supper soon, and I don't want to answer the phone then either!





[1]Halfway through season 5; Gul Dukat just made his big power move; Dr. Bashir's secret is out; Kirayoshi has been born.]

No comments: