Tuesday, June 29, 2010

What's Next?

I've mentioned before that my latest Great Course is "How to Listen to and Understand Great Music." I'm truly enjoying it. (Though I can't say I appreciate opera as much as my instructor would hope. I still have trouble getting into any thing that's supposed to tell a story if I can't understand the words.) Right now, I'm in a two part lecture about Beethoven's Fifth and I love it.

This Great Course is a long one. 48 lectures, 45 minutes each. That's long! I've been at it three months already and still have over 1/3 of the course to go.

But I must plan ahead. I need to have another course lined up for when this one completes, or I'll be tempted to listen to sports talk radio again. I can't let that happen.

Well, the Teaching Company sent an e-mail informing me that the CD version of every Great Course is on sale for the next few days. It's a great opportunity.

So, what should I get? There are so many options!

Science? Great Scientific Ideas That Changed the World

Or more science? Big History: The Big Bang, Life on Earth, and the Rise of Humanity

Or a different kind of science I've never studied before? Story of Human Language

As you can see, I seem to be drawn to another science course (or two.) I think my recent immersion in music, preceded by literature and more literature, is causing my brain to say "I need science!"

But then again, given my recent travels, perhaps I should get London: A Short History of the Greatest City in the Western World .

Decisions, decisions.

No comments: