Tuesday, December 8, 2009

My Life's Soundtrack - Part 3 - Secular List 2

The third in a series [begun here, and continued here] of music which has formed My Life's Soundtrack. Today another list of secular pieces.

Linus & Lucy - Vince Guaraldi - Motivated me to take piano lessons (from Ann) - though I never did get good enough to play it. And it makes me smile - I've always loved Peanuts.

Three Pieces from "Star Wars" - John Williams - Was there ever a better set of movie score bookends than "Main Title/Blockade Runner" (Heroic, Exciting Annunciation) and "The Throne Room/End Title" (Exultant, Victorious Majesty)? And then, for character definition, "Binary Sunset" sets the tone for Luke Skywalker throughout the films and on into every (good) book written about him thereafter. The personal connection? Well, [ahem] I saw this movie in the theater, 22 & 3/4 times when it was released in '77. Kind of a favorite of mine.

Silly Little Love Songs - Paul McCartney & Wings - This song was on the jukebox in the office/rec room at "The Lake" resort, where we went on vacation with my dad's side of the family every year. I listened to this and many, many other songs many, many times with my cousins. (When we weren't playing volleyball, or playing pinochle, or fishing for northern pike and walleye, or splashing around in the lake....)

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel - I remember hearing it in Ames, Iowa. Married student housing. 3rd grade or so. Perhaps the song I first remember hearing on an album.

Time in a Bottle - Jim Croce - I loved it for what it was -- a love song -- and then it was sung at a cousin's funeral after he died too early in his life in an accident. Now it will always affect me, and prompt me to appreciate the time I have now.

Lucky One - Amy Grant - I listened to the House of Love album in general, and this song in particular, over and over when Sherry was away on her mission trips. It reminds me of her, and that's always good.

The Call - Regina Spektor - This was the choice we made for the "Father/Daughter" dance for Sarah's wedding, and it was perfect. I sang while we danced. Sarah sang, too. For the two of us, it made sense. We are both inclined to break into song, and certainly to sing along with music we love. We danced, we sang, we danced. And now she's Troy's wife.

No comments: