Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Movie Micro-Reviews: Edition 39

This edition -- a movie that deserves a better rating, and a movie from HBO we only saw because of Netflix.

Lucky Number Slevin

72

I liked it! Yes, most of its characters are bad guys, but the dialog was smart and there were enough mysteries to unravel.

Bridget Jones’s Diary

54

I’m not much of a Romantic Comedy guy, but this was OK. Still, when we finished it, we happened to see the end of “The Holiday” which was similar, but funnier and better.

Tale of Desperaux (The)

50

Quite pretty, and the story was OK. Sometimes it felt like there were too many storylines. And one of the “heroes” got pretty un-heroic for a while and that bugged me. Still, OK.

Taking Chance

61

Very moving. Honestly. A simple film, based on a real event, that touches on honor and respect for our fallen military personnel. Kevin Bacon did a great job. I wonder if there were even 1000 words of dialog? Even 500?

Snatch

55

Some really dark humor, in a very stylized movie. How can you pull for any of these guys? Pitt's accent performance was something, though!

[Oh, my! Did I really rate this movie that low when I first saw it? I must have been in a bad mood. Easily a 70 now.]

2001: A Space Odyssey

89

I still like the symbolism and mystery, though the silence is tough to take. Did Frank ever say "It's full of stars."

[If he did, I missed it again. {He didn’t, in the film; he did, in the book.} But I was glad to see it. Yes, it’s a slow pace. For this film, it works. For me.]

No comments: