Friday, August 7, 2009

And now, it's for Real. (Really?)

As I indicated recently, I've been blogging for a long time. But, as I've pointed out repeatedly, I don't blog about work.

Well, that's about to change. (Sort of.)

A colleague and I are starting a blog, related to our work. And that means that I'm about to start blogging about work-related things. [But not here. I still won't blog about work -- here.]

This means that I will have the job of coming up with well-written articles on a regular basis. Somehow, the idea is daunting. Yet, I come up with things to say here at Snippets & Wisps multiple times a week, and it doesn't weigh on me. (Mostly.)

It's funny, because when I started thinking about why the new blog is different, I described it internally as being a "Real" blog. [Hence the title to this entry.] Why is that funny? Because I think of this blog as being about the things in my Real Life. The new blog will be from my Work Life. Yet, I mentally put the word "Real" in the description of the new blog.

Though I try hard to keep them separate [and I've written about this in a blog entry I haven't scheduled to be posted yet] my Work Life and my Real Life are both Real parts of my life.

What's interesting to me is how my mind immediately assigned "Real" to the new blog, as if that somehow made it more ... what? ... important? imposing? difficult?

I think it was just an underlying flight response to a new situation. I like writing. I like expressing myself coherently. At my core, I like teaching people things. Once I figure out how to plan for the new blog, once I've decided on my first few topics, and met my first couple of deadlines, the word "Real" will remain, but it will carry less stress.

Recently, I've been listening to a Great Course about Consciousness. In light of that, I need to be more aware of how I use the term "Real." "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." OK, Inigo was talking about a different word. But the point is the same. I should examine what I really meant by thinking the new blog is "Real" and then substitute the right word. Then I can effectively deal with my reaction.

Words; they can confuse, obfuscate, and enlighten.

Have a good weekend, everyone. And I mean that. Really. Every word.

No comments: