Thursday, July 16, 2009

Golf Tomorrow

Busy day today. Tomorrow, I get to golf for the first time this year. Lots to do between now and then.

People hear that I'm going golfing, and they ask:

"Oh, are you a golfer?"

How do I answer that? I don't golf well. I don't golf often. I'd like to golf more. I mean, I just told them I'm going golfing. Doesn't that mean that I am a golfer in some sense? So why ask the question?

"Oh, are you a golfer?"

On the other hand, if they are really asking me a question, what are they asking?

It's just another of those polite conversation questions, I guess. Let's me talk about golfing if I want to.

"Oh, are you a golfer?"

After I put the ball in the water a couple of times, and lose a couple more balls in the weeds tomorrow, I'm pretty sure my answer will be "No. Definitely not. But thanks for asking."

Golf is so popular simply because it is the best game in the world at which to be bad.
~A.A. Milne


"Oh, are you a golfer?"

("Here's your sign" -- Bill Engvall)

No comments: