Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Movie Micro-Reviews: Edition 34

Soon, I will have to comment on the trend I'm seeing in Netflix-delivered movies.

Meanwhile, here's the latest edition.

Lady in the Water

76

Engaging myth, cool characters you can care about. And surprises enough.

I liked it more the second time around.

Milk

73

This was all happening when I was in high school. I remember Anita, and the “Twinkie Defense.” Shameful to see what was happening. I don’t have to think Milk was a saint to appreciate what he did. Oh, and I respect James Franco’s acting abilities far more than I did when he was just Harry Osborne.

Once

65

“It was like they took a camera into someone’s life.” Yep, and he was a musician, so the music (which was good) made sense. The realism was entertaining. The pacing will not please the action-oriented.

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

55

An OK, soft-serve, treat. Not luscious, not substantial, but enjoyable. Fraser is not old enough to have a kid that old, but the story needed it. Cool use of the Terracotta army. Loved the Yetis.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

66

Better than the original, for me. More story. I liked the supernatural elements (very Japanese). And the kids took me for Father’s Day, so that helped. Not so good: visually confusing – too much motion, hard to tell good robots from bad; too rude/crude in parts.

7 Pounds

72

Initially reviewed in Edition 26.

Rosario Dawson is the best actor we see too infrequently. She moved this into the “70s” for my ratings.

Pride and Prejudice

74

It took a while to get used to the formal, structured personal interactions of the British aristocracy, but once I did, I saw the walls they built. The “pride” was clear, the “prejudice” was limiting. And, oh, the things we do for love.

No comments: