Friday, April 24, 2009

Movie Micro-Reviews: Edition 31 - with Netflix Streaming

I watched my first streamed-movie using Netflix. "Dan in Real Life" while on a business trip. This is much better than pay-per-view - cheaper and the selection is bigger. Of course, I'm limited to the laptop screen, but when you're in a hotel room alone, that's not such a big deal.

Chicago

91

Originally reviews in Edition 13.

It’s a movie without heroic heroes, but I still like it.

Hoosiers

86

Yes, I know I just saw it and reviewed it for Edition 27. You see, Leah wanted to see it, and I was sitting there, and – well, how do you just walk away?

Twilight

47

Mildly entertaining. One “new” idea about vampires. Cullen didn’t look “conflicted” so much as “constipated.” Bella was on the verge of being interesting, without ever getting there.

Bolt

68

Clever and sweet and funny. I laughed. It was fun to watch with kids (David and Nora) and that helped. Not “The Incredibles” but still worth the viewing.

Reader (The)

80

“It’s the secrets that we keep that drive our stories.” This story starts with the intensity of a teenage boy’s love, and then takes astonishing, heart-wrenching turns. Draining and ambiguous; some lives are forever defined by one short summer, by one secret kept.

Dan in Real Life

73

I’m really beginning to like to see Steve Carell. Here, a normal, likeable guy in a hard situation, but handling it well until … well, you’ll see. His character may have over-reacted, but it was understandable. And Carell did not over-act. Oh, and what guy above the age of 30 wouldn’t fall for Juliet Binochet?

No comments: