Monday, February 9, 2009

Movie Micro-Reviews: Edition 27

I'll start by posting the most recent micro-reviews, and then I'll discuss one of them in particular.

Spiderman 2

81

Great fights. Superior effects of web-swinging. Great villain. Peter’s a bit too “wimpy” at times, and I still don’t like “Raindrops.”

Spiderman 3

67

Reviewed in the very first micro-review post I made in this blog. Picky readers will notice that the rating has changed since then. That’s because I decided I needed a new rating system, as explained in micro-review 7, and so this went down. Still recommendable, conditionally, but not in the 70’s.

Gattaca

88

Extremely well done sci-fi fable about prejudice and reaching beyond your limitations.

Hoosiers

86

Redemption. Everyman. David & Goliath. One of the best sports movies ever.

Dead Poets Society

83

The themes are familiar, but the methods are unique. Robin Williams was understated, but perfectly cast as a teacher introducing free thought and the meaning of humanity to the buttoned-up boys-becoming-men. Moving. Inspiring.

West Side Story

68

Full of energy. Some good music and a great performance by Moreno. If I appreciated dance, I’d like this more, I think.



























Now, the discussion. West Side Story: I know it is extremely well thought of. It won Best Picture after all. If I were rating this film based on its place in history, I suppose I'd have to give it a higher score. But I'm not reviewing any movie on that basis. I merely want to express how a particular movie worked for me. This means I get to (or have to) take into account all the other stuff I've seen, and I get to (or have to) put my personal preferences at the fore.

West Side Story uses dance to express the emotions of the characters. I don't respond as well to that as some people. It's why I don't seek out ballet as an entertainment. Clearly, the dancers in West Side Story are excellent. It's just that their skill didn't really affect me much.

West Side Story also comes from a time when using honest, realistic language would not have been allowed in a popular musical. So the gang members say silly words. I'd have real trouble taking these guys seriously, given the way they talk. I'd have snickered. So, I try to suspend disbelief and let it flow past me, but the amount of such dialog is so large, and the words are so silly, I have trouble.

Now, I have to admit that I doubt West Side Story would have had the same atmosphere if it were rewritten today with realistic words. I'm guessing the writers, in fact, made that conscious decision -- not merely based on the social mores at the time and the potential for wide appeal -- but because they wanted the sweetness of a fable.

It's also true that the Capulets and Montagues were written with language that would not have been used on the real streets of Verona, but somehow it fits better to me.

Anyway, giving West Side Story a 68 isn't intended to be a slap in the face. It's just an indication of how much I like it.

No comments: