Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Renaissance or Unfocused?

Main Entry: Renaissance man
Function: noun
Date: 1906
: a person who has wide interests and is expert in several areas

Main Entry: un·fo·cused
Function: adjective
Date: 18861 : not adjusted to a focus 2 : not concentrated on one point or objective <unfocused rage>

There are so many blogs in the world, and it seems that most of them are tightly focused on a single topical area. Fivethirtyeight.com is politics, with a statistical flavor. GiantBattlingRobots is the math of games. Noirishcity is Film Noir.

My blog is smattering of lots of things. When I'm feeling good about myself, I think of it as a "Renaissance Man's" blog. When I'm feeling small, it's just unfocused.

=========================================

Games: The only game I'm playing lately (on a computer) is Spectromancer. I can fire it up and play a game in two minutes -- five at the outside -- and then quit. Every other game I normally play sounds like too much of a time commitment. I've tried playing the "Chess" program at the bottom of my blog [You noticed it, right, dear reader? Just below the daily picture by Salvidor Dali?] but it takes too long. And I always lose. {Sigh} Once upon a time, I could play that game.

TV: Thank goodness The Mentalist was on last night. It gave me a great excuse not to watch "American Idol" and allowed me to play only 75 minutes of Paper Mario (which is fun, but we're almost to the end. I want it to last a few more days.0

More TV: We got through Season 4.0 of Battlestar Galactica in just a few days. Man, that's a good show. I really loved how they ended 4.0. Very sci-fi. Of course, I was disappointed, just as the characters were. But I loved it, nonetheless. I'm anxious to see what the writers do with it, and how the characters handle the discovery. And where (and who) is the final Cylon?



Family: I haven't seen the boys and their wives in over a week. This feels weird, since we saw so much of them over Christmas. And yet, I made contact with Aunt Marla, because I finally joined Facebook and she added me as a friend right away.

.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*

"Renaissance man." Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. 2009.

Merriam-Webster Online. 14 January 2009

"unfocused." Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. 2009.

Merriam-Webster Online. 14 January 2009

No comments: