Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Movie Micro-Reviews: Edition 22

Time for another set of micro-reviews. In addition to these, I know we've at least seen "National Treasure: Book of Secrets" again. Maybe a couple other things, too, but we've been mostly watching TV shows, rather than movies, when we have time lately.

Music Man

92

Is there a better pure musical than this? Some of the most FUN stage music ever.

Spiderwick Chronicles (The)

68

Creative children’s fantasy with enough drama for adults.

Apollo 13

88

A story told extremely well. Riveting in parts. It’s amazing how many individuals has to do just the right thing to avert disaster.

Moulin Rouge!

94

Truly one of the best films I’ve ever seen, yet I completely understand how the direction can put people off. The first 15-20 minutes are so filled with quick cuts, it’s like watching a Pee-Wee’s Playhouse on speed. I just happen to like that, so when the story slows down a bit, I’m excited, and it just gets better. And the music – fun and excellent. The “Elephant Love Medley,” “Come What May,” and “One Day I’ll Fly Away” – as well as “The Show Must Go On.” Powerful.

Silverado

75

Hey, thanks, Shawn! And Mike! Another Western definitely worth watching. I liked the characters, and the many famous actors. Linda Hunt might have been the best. Good one.

Wizard of Oz (The)

95

How do you rate a classic?

Now, after The Writer’s Journey and Wicked, I have even more appreciation for this film.

No comments: