Thursday, August 7, 2008

Trying a couple blog things

I decided to figure out a couple of blog-related things today.

Quote: First, I'm testing a "Quote of the Day" service from BrainyQuote.com. It should be appearing on the left part of my blog.

RSS Feed: Second, I know Mike has been able to subscribe to my blog using RSS feeds (to get e-mails of my entries, rather than have to visit the site.) I asked him how he did it, and here are his instructions:


Start Outlook.
Click tools/account settings (this is with Outlook 2007—might be different in other versions)
Click on the RSS Feeds tab.
Click New
Type in the URL that you want to subscribe to: http://snippetsandwisps.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default
You’re done. You can find the feeds in the list (RSS Feeds is below Outbox in my list).

I use Thunderbird as my mail client, so I'm hoping the directions above will have correspondingly easy instructions. If it does, I'll post them.

[Update: It's very similar in Thunderbird, and there are good instructions here. The primary difference is that you have to "create an account" for handling RSS feeds, but that's simple from the File menu. Then adding a feed takes a while, just because it seems to take Thunderbird a while to verify the RSS feed. Anyway, take a look at the link if you want to try it. There's not much to it.]

Removed: I removed the local weather, and the guestbook. I doubt anyone cares about the Rochester weather, and only two other people ever signed my guestbook (Thanks, Mike & Russ) so it's gone.

Slideshow: Blogger gives me the option to run a slideshow of photos from Flickr, so I'm trying that. [Update: while I could get the slideshow to show me pictures, I couldn't get them to show me my photos from Flickr. I'll mess with this again sometime. Maybe it would work better with Picasa.]

No comments: