Friday, May 2, 2008

Princess Sarah is a Hero

Years ago, I wrote "The Princess Sarah Story" (and its prequel) for my kids. In fact, I simply made up the story over the course of several nights, and once it settled into a consistent version, there was no real need to write it down. Eventually, as a Christmas gift, I did put the words on paper.

As I continue to read "A Writer's Journey" (I'm on page 155, at the beginning of "The Ordeal") I'm amazed at how well this paradigm fits so many stories, including the ones I've written, such as "The Princess Sarah Story." I admit, I will have to go find the story again -- it's been so long since I've told it to anyone, my memory is rusty -- but there are several key plot points which could have been designed after reading the "Journey."

The longer I read about it, the more I think about it, the more convinced that Vogler and Campbell are right -- the Hero's Journey is really the Human Journey, played out repeatedly in our own lives. Fiction imitates life and influences life because the Journey is core to our Humanity.

I have a feeling I will be writing several more blog entries about this topic. It is fascinating!

No comments: