Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Action Comics #1

Within a few days of this post, Heritage Auctions will have auctioned off a copy of "Action Comics #1" - the first appearance of Superman, and the start of the Golden Age of comics.

As of this posting, the bid price is $95,000 (which comes to a final price near $115,000 once the "buyer's premium" is added ... "buyer's premium" means "pure profit paid to the auction house" as far as I can tell.)

Clearly, I will never own this piece of history. But it would be really cool someday to own:
  • Uncanny X-Men #94 - 140 (or so) - the issues I sold to fund our honeymoon
  • Fantastic Four #1 (if I want to invest in a Silver Age icon)
  • A real Black Lotus (or Mox Emerald and/or Mox Ruby) - those seem reasonable by comparison now, don't they?
I think I'll just have to stay happy with my sealed copy of Superworld, and my sealed boxes of Magic cards.

No comments: