Tuesday, April 1, 2008

No Fooling!

This is not a joke. I do not pull April Fool's jokes. This is real.

Tonight, I went to the Grand Ole Opry.

I repeat: This is not a joke.

Now, remember, I was just touting my eclectic taste in music. However, there have only been a few select "country" songs I've ever wanted to own. I bought John Denver's live album, and one other, in the '70s-'80s. I bought his "Greatest Hits" CD (which is ironic for several reasons.) Beyond that, I have a couple of songs from Shania Twain, one by Faith Hill -- cross-over stuff like that. But, if given the opportunity, I would tell you that I didn't like Country music.

Yet, here I am in Nashville and the Grand Ole Opry is a five minute walk from my hotel! In truth, a good performer can entertain with most any kind of music, and, as I've said, I like many kinds of music. So, rather than leave Nashville (again) without having experienced anything local, I took in a show with a colleague of mine. We paid good money for seats in the seventh row. It was a hoot!

So now, I must chide myself. I have enjoyed many kinds of "ethnic" music from around the world. Paul and/or Pete played me some Australian Aboriginal didgeridoo music. It was good. I definitely can listen to some Celtic music now and again. Paul Simon exposed me to Ladysmith Black Mambazo and I wouldn't mind hearing more of it. I frequently hear bits of music on NPR that sound intriguing.

But for all my open-mindedness, I've derided country music. While secretly enjoying a bit of it.

After tonight, I am not going to be so derogatory. I am definitely not a country fan, but there was some really fun music tonight. The stuff that got closer to what I consider "pure country" was not something I want to hear again, but the performers were good. Still, there was a nice mix and I would gladly hear certain selections again.

Here's the list of what we saw, and what I thought of them. Each act got to perform 3 or 4 songs.

http://snippetsandwisps.blogspot.com/2008/04/grand-ole-opry-acts.html

It's hard to pick a favorite, but I would buy Brown's "Just a Closer Walk with Thee," Howard's "I'm Not Who You Think I Am," any instrumental piece by The Cherryholmes in addition to "This is My Son," and Clark's "Poor, Poor Pitiful Me." I might even sample some of the Cajun stuff from Newman.

But when it was pure country, it was just good because I was there. I completely understand why Jewell won a contest for country artists. I bet lots of people would buy his stuff. I won't, but they will. Rebecca Lynn Howard was more accessible.

So, I live, I learn, I grow. May you do the same.

No comments: