Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Public Radio

Yes, I became a member of Minnesota Public Radio again.

Why? If I admit that some of the decision was altruistic, but some was selfish, would you believe me?

Years ago, I was a member. I used to listen to "The Morning Show" every day while sitting at the bus stop and then on my way to work. I own two CDs of favorites from the eclectic mix they play, and I got those as "Thank You Gifts" for joining.

But, over time, I drifted away. Sure, every once in a while I'd catch a bit of "Car Talk" or "A Prairie Home Companion," but in general, I was listening to my own music on CD. Or, even worse, I started listening to sports talk radio. Bread and circuses, my friends.

Between an incessant fascination with who the manager of the New York Yankees should be, to the treatment of the Steroids Scandal and Patriots Spygate as matters of Supreme Importance, sports radio finally went over the top. I could not stomach it any more. So I went back to an old friend: "Morning Edition" on the way to work, "Midday" on my way to lunch with Sherry, and "All Things Considered" on the way home.

I've learned about how the rest of the world feels about our elections; I've heard from the source of The Pentagon Papers; I listened to a report about a study that shows the therapeutic effects of robotic dogs for the elderly.

So, now I've contributed some money. I will feel obligated to listen (this is the opposite of the normal sales pitch they use, but I bet MPR doesn't mind.) In the end, it will be better for me, and that's how joining was a selfish act.

In the end, I think this is the sort of information for which my liberal arts education prepared me. And I'm far healthier with a steady diet of this. Mike & Mike are amusing at times, and there's a place for humor in my day. But I think I'll stick to the funny papers and YouTube for that.

Until the NFL starts again. Then, I'm probably hooked.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For NPR-style amusement, try "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" (the NPR News Quiz) on Sunday afternoons at 2 p.m. (www.npr.org/programs/waitwait/). It's funny and smart. A nice combination. -- And, if you join in, you could win Carl Kasell's voice on your home answering machine.

-TRW