Saturday, March 22, 2008

March Madness? Me?

The annual NCAA Men's Basketball tournament is well underway. Each year, as "March Madness" approaches, I get mildly involved. I join Kent's $2 pool. I choose a few free ESPN brackets. And then I watch a few games. Over the past few years, I've gotten to know some groups of people (guys mostly) who take the first extended weekend of the tournament as vacation time and spend four days being guys and watching basketball.

The more I hear about it, the more fun it sounds. But really, would I like it?

I don't follow college basketball. If I try watching the games, I get tired before the second consecutive game finishes. And I don't have any close friends who are fans of college basketball.

So why do I like the idea?

Because it's time off of work, after 10-12 weeks of post-Christmas work. Because it's a bunch of guys getting together to have fun.

I could do the same thing with an extended gaming weekend, if a group of my guy friends and my sons wanted to do that. And then, I really would like it.

So, the traditional "March Madness" is not for me. But maybe next year I will try to organize a "March Mayhem" around the same time.

No comments: